Thursday, May 24, 2012

Roasted Green Beans



My neighbor came over with a huge bag of fresh-from-the-garden green beans.  I guess that is one of the perks of having a master gardener living next door.  Any time I have tried to grow veggies, they either turn out puny or get devoured by some sort of creature.  Last summer, my tomatoes were ravaged by horned caterpillars.  I didn't even bother with growing veggies this year.

ANYWAY.  I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the green beans.  Should I make the traditional green bean casserole? Stir fry with some other veggies?  No, I'll ROAST them!  Roasted veggies are awesome, and a friend has recently been sharing her vegetable roasting adventures, so I'd been in the mood to roast. 

Here's What You Need:
a pound of fresh green beans
1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs of lemon juice
salt
fresh ground pepper

Here's What You Do:
Wash your green beans well in cold water and snap the ends off.  Pat dry.

In a bowl, mix the EVOO and lemon juice.  Add salt and pepper to taste (I did just a pinch of salt, but I was a little more liberal with the pepper for flavor).

Toss in the green beans and coat them evenly.

Spread out on a pan and put in the oven at 425F for about 12-14 minutes.  Turn over the green beans halfway through.  You will know they are ready when they begin to turn a little brown but still have a nice crunch to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment