Sunday, July 22, 2012

Veggie Quiche


My mom came to visit this weekend, and I decided that I wanted to try out a new recipe for her.  What to cook?  I needed something easy.  I decided upon a quiche recipe that looked really tasty and that was fairly easy to prepare.  

I have had a long love of quiche, but I've never made it myself.  I have on many occasions bought mini quiche at the store for parties and showers, and they were always savory and delicious.

I switched up the recipe by removing the bacon (obviously) and adding even more tasty veggies.  I think the sun-dried tomatoes really packed a punch!  I also "skinnied" this recipe by using lower fat milk and cheese.  I was a little bit worried that it wouldn't come out firm, but it turned out perfectly.  So perfectly, in fact, that mom and I both went back for seconds.

This dish is perfect for brunch, lunch, or dinner.

adapted from Sugar & Spice by Celeste

Here's What You Need:
1 frozen pie crust (or make your own, but I went the easy route)
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
3 cups baby spinach, stems removed
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups part-skin mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tbsp flour
salt and pepper, to taste

Here's What You Do:
Preheat oven to 325F.

In large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Saute onions and mushrooms for 5-7 minutes, or until onions begin to caramelize.  Add spinach and continue cooking until spinach is wilted.  

In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, onion, mushrooms, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper.  Slowly mix in cheese, and then stir in flour.  


Pour into the pie crust and bake for 60-65 minutes, or until set (check with toothpick).  Let it sit for about 20 minutes to cool.





Enjoy the awesomeness.


No comments:

Post a Comment