Sunday, July 8, 2012

Vidalia Onion Tart


Ok, so the hubby and I are planning a cruise in September.  Crazy planner as I am, I've even gone as far as to find the cruise ship's dinner menus online.  One of the appetizers that everyone raves about is a Vidalia Onion Tart.  Being the Georgia girl that I am, and living in a place where Vidalia onions are plentiful (and trust me, they taste different than other onions), I figured it was something I should try.

This was so good that I ate the entire piece standing at the kitchen counter because I didn't want to waste time to sit down!  Some of the flavors remind me of a good southern squash casserole, but of course with onions!  I had to go back for a second piece.  I am going to add this to the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner menu for sure.

I changed up the soup mix and cheese in this recipe from the original source.

Adapted from Allrecipes

Here's What You Need:
3 tablespoons butter
1 large Vidalia onion, diced
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
12 oz fat free evaporated milk
1 packet dry onion soup mix
3 eggs
1 cup Mozzarella cheese 
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
1 9" deep dish frozen pie crust

Here's What You Do:
Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large skillet, saute onion in the butter until onions caramelize.



Remove from heat.  Whisk in sour cream, followed by evaporated milk, soup mix, eggs, and cheese, one at at time.

Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust.  Place pie crust on cookie sheet and place in oven.



Bake for 40 minutes.  Ensure it is done by checking with a toothpick until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment